Implementing RemoteFX on HP ProLiant
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2008/05/10 18:12 -
- Processors must support Second-Level Address Translation (SLAT). Intel-based processors, Extended Page Tables (EPT) == SLAT. AMD-based processors, Nested Page Tables (NPT) == SLAT.
- At least one GPU (graphics mezzanine card or full-length PCI Graphics card) or RemoteFX encoder. The GPU driver must support DirectX 9.0 and DirectX 10.0. If more than one GPU installed in the RemoteFX server, the GPUs must be identical. The GPU must have sufficient dedicated video memory that is separate from system memory.
- Cover Hyper-V hardware requirements and enable hardware assisted virtualization options in the server BIOS.
- Enable Hyper-threading at the server BIOS.
- Disable the embedded graphics device (using server BIOS or by RemoteFX cap driver). Note: iLO Remote Console will not function.
RemoteFX Server's Installation:
- Install the most recent firmware updates. Use HP Smart Start and Smart Update Firmare DVD
- Install the GPU(s)
- Install Windows Server 2008 R2
- Install all software drivers including the most recent drivers for the GPU
- Install antivirus software (if required)
- Install the most recent Windows Server Service Pack and all Microsoft Updates released after the service pack
- Use Server Manager and install the folowing server roles: Hyper-V, Remote Desktop Virtualization Host - Core Services and RemoteFX
- Restart the server to complete Hyper-V and Remote Desktop Virtualization Role installation
- Install RemoteFX cap driver - From an elevated command prompt, type dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-EmbeddedVideoCap-Setup-Package, and then press ENTER. Note: after installing the RemoteFX cap driver, the integrated video adapter is disabled while the operating system is running. This alows to keep the integrated video card enabled (but as secondary) in the server's BIOS and have access to the server via ILO remote console.
- After the command has completed successfully, restart the RemoteFX server.
- Configure Hyper-V settings - Virtual Hard Disks, Virtual Machines directories and Virtual networks.
RemoteFX Virtual machine installation
RemoteFX is supported for Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Ultimate operating systems. To install it follow the folowing simple steps:
- Use Hyper-V manager to create new virtual machine. Set its memory, CPU and disks resources. and install the operating system - Windows 7 Enterprise (or Ultimate)
- Install the most recent service pack and all Microsoft updates
- Install the Integration services and restart the virtul machine
- Shut Down the virtual machine and change its settings - Add hardware -> RemoteFX video adapter
- Start the virtual machine and log on. Allow a few seconds for the operating system to detect that a new hardware has been installed. There will be a message box requesting to restart it.
- Restart the virtual machine.
If Hyper-V manager's console is used, then after the successful installation of RemoteFX and after Windows 7 start up, it will show the following screen.
HP document on RemoteFX set up